Pre-requisites to join PALS
There are some specific details that you need to know before you complete that application. After reading the information below, if you have any question please contact the office at 403-250-7257.
Pre-requisites for joining the PALS Programs:
- animals fed a raw diet may be eligible to visit at select facilities, check with the office (click here for the related policy)
- animals must be reliably potty trained
- animals must be leash trained and on a leash at all times
- animals must be healthy in order to be evaluated and to visit.
- animals must have a current rabies vaccination or
- animals should have basic obedience, including sit, down, stay, drop it, leave it and walk on a loose leash
- animals should have no history of aggression towards other companion animals or people
- adult animals that are new to your family must be in your household for a minimum of 6 months before you can submit an application for them to become a PALS pet. This is so you and your pet can develop the relationship necessary to be a cohesive PALS team
What makes a great PALS pet? Ask yourself these questions
- Is your pet comfortable being in a group of people?
- Is your pet comfortable with small crowded rooms?
- Is your pet people-oriented, friendly and confident?
- Will your pet initiate contact, make eye contact with strangers and allow their attention to be redirected?
- Is your pet able to handle stressful situations?
- Is your pet able to meet new people without becoming excited and jumping up on them?
- Is your pet able to be in a group of animals without becoming excited or wanting to play over their job of visiting?
- Is your pet comfortable with being touched, sometimes awkwardly, all over their body?
- Is your pet able to disregard food on trays, or responds to the commands ‘leave it’ and ‘drop it’
What does the New PALS Evaluation look like? Click here to find out!